Tourism, Accommodation and Historical Attractions in Natal, South Africa
The Natal Drakensberg
Witsieshoek and the Mountain Drive.
Witsieshoek and the Sentinel Mountain Drive
|Advertise Now -it's Free!||Change text size:|
For a day's outing, this takes some beating. Travelling time is 90 minutes from Royal Natal National Park.
- Drive over Oliviershoek Pass (towards Harrismith).
- There is a view site on the summit.
- Drive past Sterkfontein Dam where there is a Vulture Restaurant on the left.
- Turn left at the T junction and drive through the Eastern Free State for 40 kms.
- Turn left at the second Phutadijhaba turnoff (next to the university).
- Carry on through Phutadijhaba for 20kms without turning off.
- Gradually, the houses will thin and you will come to a tollgate.
- Proceed up the paved road past Witsieshoek Mountain Resort.
- The road is then gravel and winds upwards with spectacular views across both the fron and the back of the Drakensberg.
- At the end of the road is a car park where you pay a small fee if you intend to carry on on foot.
- Proceed through the gate and up the zigzags (about one hour) to a marvellous view across the top of the amphitheatre.
- If you want to carry on to the summit - take the contour path for another hour, up the chain ladders and you're on the top!
The view from the saddle at the top of the zigzags is breathtaking whatever the time of year. If you don't want to walk up the zigzags, there is a good viewpoint from the road shortly before the Sentinel car park.
On the way back, stop at Witsieshoek Mountain Resort for a night, a beer or a meal. It is the highest resort in South Africa at over 8,000ft.
The whole trip can be done from Royal Natal National Park but you need to be fit and it will take around eight hours return to the park.